Friday 10 July 2009

The Face of Jesus in my Soup

Now, many of you will have - at some point in your pitiful lives - laughed at those who wear their faith like a badge. Personally, I love it when they get all riled up because I laughed at them, and at the peak of their offense I remind them that they'll forgive me. Funnily enough, they often don't, which is just like spitting on baby Jesus in the cow shed.

Anyhow, the other day I was about to enjoy a bowl of soup, when I saw the creator of the Universe looking back at me. Now, in the old days, several Bishops would have turned up, along with a crowd of devotees, and my house would have been converted into a shrine before I could say "Fuck off, you Christian twats", or something like that.

Now, I do think we live in a Godless age, but as my aged Mother often tells me, it seems Godless because my soul is corrupt. So, I decided to believe, and convert to Jesus of the Tomato Soup's club. The next thing was to evangelise. Luckily, the soup manufacturer (I admit I didn't make it myself) had put a telephone number on the side of the carton, telling me to contact them if I had any queries. I did.

"Hello, it's about your tomato soup."

"Yes?"

"It has something in it."

"Are you sure it didn't fall in when you were preparing it?"

The point to note here is that the woman didn't know what was in it; she didn't care. All she wanted to do was shift the blame.

"No, I certainly didn't put it there."

"What exactly is it?"

"The face of Jesus."

Click ... Brrrrr

I redialed.

"Hello, I was just talking to someone else and we got cut off. I found something in my tomato soup."

"Was it a piece of tomato?"

"No, it wasn't, and it didn't fall in while I was heating up the soup, before you ask."

"What did you find?"

"The face of Jesus."

"Pardon?"

"The face of Jesus is in my soup. The creator of the world is looking up at me from the bowl."

(After a brief pause) "Really?"

"Yes, really."

Click ... Brrrrr

For a moment I thought about taking the bowl to the local church, but instead I stuck the spoon it, gave it a stir, and ate it. We do indeed live in Godless times.


2 comments:

  1. Vincent,
    That was a great post. Someone over here found a Cheeto that resembled Jesus. So now I worship Cheezus.

    Much love. Have a great weekend.

    SB

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Jesus bloke turns up everywhere. I had him on the soles of my feet recently.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?