Monday 22 June 2009

Setanta Sucks Arse

Today is probably the day that Setanta, the Irish broadcaster, goes into administration. Now, whilst no one likes to see people put out of work (although a fair few of the so-called "customer facing" staff will be getting what they deserve), the reality is that the Setanta operation sucks arse, and was always doomed to fail.

I won't waste valuable drinking time explaining why they suck arse; if you want to know more, just Google "Setanta suck arse scam fucking robbing cunts shit signal poor selection crap customer service load of fucking tinkers bollocks to you all money grabbing wankers" or something similar, and you'll stumble across their fan base.

I had a short spell as a Setanta customer. I voted with my feet when the first two football matches I tried to watch were unwatchable because it was raining in Mongolia. The signal was so poor that even if someone mentioned rain, the satellite link was lost. It sucked arse, so I stopped my Direct Debit. They then contacted me to say I had to give 30 days notice, and I should set up a Standing Order for one single final payment. I told them to fuck off. A Standing Order basically is giving them a blank cheque. They replied that I was in breach of my contract, so I told them I'd happily see them in court, because I was a lawyer. I never heard from the scabby fuckers again.

Problems with poor quality transmissions, shabby customer service and questionable practices when people cancel subscriptions are very well documented. One classic trick is that the address for written notice of cancellations is not in the contract. Many viewers have sent cancellations to the address in the contract, only to be told a second address must be used when they query payments taken by the company after the contract has been terminated. The ones I feel very sorry for are those who set up accounts via credit card payments. 

Basically, Setanta was a one trick pony, and that trick was taking the piss out of customers. Talking to others reveals that one shit telephone call equates to getting off lightly. The company will disappear from our screens, and might I add it's not a minute too soon. Now, if we can see BA collapse, BT go to the wall and Zurich Insurance fall over, it will be a good day for customer service.


3 comments:

  1. another intelligent blog then!
    KNOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you sign your name in capitals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the days when I got fucked over by OnDigital, then ITV Digital who both went bust before they managed to cancel my direct debit. Stick to council telly.

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?