Friday 1 May 2009

Duck and Cover

Today, I am in a slight state of shock. Yes, I am aware that there is a recession, and I am aware that money is tight for most people, but I hadn't quite realised how bad things are for some folks. I have a friend in the music industry; he travels a lot and subsequently we don't get to meet up all that often. Then the other day he rang me and invited Mrs SC and I around for a spot of dinner. I accepted, because anything that keeps Mrs SC out of the kitchen has to be a godsend.

So, we sat down around the table and broke bread. He told us that the label he works for was winding down several divisions, and numerous contracts with some fairly big names won't be renewed when they end. He uncorked some wine, and we chatted on about the state of the economy and the general pessimistic mood of the nation, and before long it was time for the first course.

He walked in and placed the plates in front of us. I was slightly taken aback, and asked: "What the fuck is this?"

"Foie Gras" he replied.

I was outraged, shocked and - if the truth be told - angry too. It was a moral issue; eat it or stand up for my deeply held beliefs. I could either swallow it down and save a friendship, or I could confront him with the barbarity of what he had placed before me. Fuck it, I thought, I've plenty of other friends, so I let rip.

"Foie Gras? What's the meaning of this monstrosity? How do you expect me to stoop so low as to place this vile item in my mouth. Such a move would not only justify, but would endorse the manufacture of it."

"What's up?" he enquired. "Is it raw?"

"No," I screamed, "it's fucking foie gras ... de canard!"

"It's entier."

"That's no excuse. We are your guests, but you're treating us like ... tramps! It's like making us eat dog shit. I demand foie gras d'oie!"

He shrugged and said those words that shocked me so much. "There's a recession, you know!"

Then it dawned on me. Across the globe, in council estates and trailer parks and slum dwellings, the workers are having to switch to foie gras de canard, probably only being able to afford foie gras d'oie at weekends. Imagine the horror of the children; their childhoods will be marred by the slightly coarser texture and bitterer taste of second rate foie gras. Whatever next? Some of the might even have to settle for parfait during the week, only having foie gras de cannard entier on a Friday and Saturday, with foie gras d'oie reserved for a Sunday night. 

I'd weep for this tragedy, if I gave a shit.

1 comment:

  1. Just dropped by to say hi, Vincent. Hope you are having a good weekend.

    SB

    ReplyDelete

Something to say?